Sunday, February 4, 2007

A Project

One of the members of the bishopric approached me before Elders' Quorum began today at church.

"Hi, iasme. How are you?"

"Fine, Thanks. And you?"

"Not too bad. Hey, I have a project for you."

A project? Curious. Since I transitioned from the singles ward to the family ward a few months ago, I have only prayed once in Elders' Quorum and just recently was asked to be a home teacher. No other assignments.

"What sort of project?" I asked.

"Well, would you be able to give a talk on the 25th in sacrament meeting?"

Oh. Is that all? "Sure. I believe I'll be in town. What's the topic?"

"The other couple that is speaking is talking about our relationship with Christ. You could talk on the same topic."

"OK."

Funny way of asking. I haven't spoken in church in a long time. After having a district calling where I had to speak in different branches once a month, I suppose they thought they would give me a break, and so I haven't really spoken since then.

I think it will be good for me to research a topic and prepare something to say to a real audience, but at the same time, I'm a little terrified that I'll discover after preparation that I don't have testimony enough anymore. True to the standard church talk, I like to end with testimony. I know the right words to say, but I can't lie. If I don't feel it or believe it, I won't be able to say it. I truly believe that the Spirit has to teach, so can I be the type of conduit that will allow such teaching? Will I be able to truly connect with the audience?

I have a couple of weeks to figure out what I will say. Perhaps the best advice to give myself is to only say what I know and trust in Heavenly Father to fill in the rest.

1 comment:

Abelard Enigma said...

I find his choice of words, referring to giving a talk in Sacrament meeting as a 'project' interesting. I might have to try that next time I ask someone to give a talk.